Thursday, July 23, 2009

Q&A: Styrofoam Wig Heads


Questions regarding my projects and papier mache regularly fill my mailbox. In an effort to answer these questions and share information some of these questions will be regularly featured on this blog.

Jeremy wrote:

“I am creating a haunted bust, and I have the Platform/Pedastal done. I bought a wig head as a base for the head and I have no clue what to do wth it! Im not sure how to go about it and Im making a frankenstien bust. Will i paint it green or go with the grey/black/gold stone colours?I need help!”

Good question.
I’ve never used a Styrofoam for any of my projects but rather create most of my skulls from scratch using papier mache covered balloons. The closest I have come to using a Styrofoam wig head is using a plastic blucky skull as the armature.

My advice would be to browse Haunt Project or The Monster List for tutorials using Styrofoam wig heads.

Off the top of my head.
I would approach this project by carving out the eye sockets so they could accept eyeballs and add some material to the wig head to create the classic Frankenstein shape such as building up the boxy shaped forehead and brows.
Next I would apply papier mache clay and sculpt the details. I would also carve out the mouth of the Styrofoam wighead so that teeth can be added.

As far as the color scheme that’s pretty much up to you and depends on the effect you are trying to achieve. Stone colors would give you a classic bust scheme but using greens could give you a unique and stylized prop.
Experiment with paint.
Remember you can always repaint if your first attempt doesn’t cut it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin