Sunday, March 22, 2009

Surfing The Library

Don’t get me wrong, I love the internet.

I love the forums, the social networks, the mailing lists, google, flickr and the instant gratification that comes from the click of a mouse.

The internet has changed the way I think, or more to the point the way I don’t think anymore.

How many cups in a gallon?

Dunno, let me google it.

When is the last time I picked up a dictionary?

Dunno, that's why there is spell-check and dictionary.com.

About a year ago I was working on some new papier mache projects and had the novel idea of actually going to the library to research my subject and get some inspiration. You remember the library; it’s that big building filled with books.

After a quick turn at the card catalog which has also turned into a computer I was off to stroll through rows and rows of books.

Unlike strolling through pages of google images I had to get off my butt and physically walk, yes I was in danger of getting exercise.

Another funny observation, it seemed that there were other living creatures surrounding me, again I was in danger, this time of being social.

All kidding aside I find the library to be a great inspirational experience.

Browsing the shelves of books always leads to unexpected finds, subjects that I would never have stumbled upon.

My latest trek to the library gave me the source material needed to created some frogs, bats and owls but also exposed me to the wonderful world of Jim Henson, the art of Maurice Sendak and the travels of Thor Heyerdahl.

All unexpected but all inspirational, shut off the computer once in a while and check out the library, I think you will be glad you did.

1 comment:

R said...

Jim Henson was (and in many ways, still is) my hero. I had the chance to meet him once when he was on a pre-release publicity tour for "Labyrinth". A great, great man.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin