Friday, August 8, 2008

Plastic Melty Skulls

Here’s a super quick and cheap project that produces some interesting results. This one is more of a craft than prop construction, but the end product has enough creepiness that it works for me, plus they are sort of fun to make.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I was working in the garage with a heat gun and remembered an article that I had read about a 5 gallon plastic bucket that had been placed to close to a wood stove, melted and ended up being used as a face for a Halloween prop. My next thought was what do I have that I can melt. The recycle bin had lots of plastic milk jugs, so I grabbed some and started melting stuff. Using a pair of heavy work glove to protect myself from the hot plastic, I used the gun to melt eyes, nose and mouth and worked the plastic into a suitable shape.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

IMPORTANT: Note, this project was done outdoors and I kept myself a fair distance from the hot plastic to prevent inhalation of fumes. If you attempt this project do so at your own risk and use caution regarding the heat and fumes.

After the face had been formed, the back of the milk jug was removed. A black cloth was draped over skull and presto, a cheap, creepy, simple prop. For the photos I plugged in some eyeballs I had which gave them a little bit of character. These would be fun to hang in trees or use for Halloween party decorations.

Have Fun!
-scott

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin