Friday, August 29, 2008

Paste and Clay Recipe

Photobucket

I get asked all the time for my paste recipe:

Six cups of flour + One cup of white glue + One cup of liquid starch.

Mix the ingredients with enough hot tap water until you get a thin (think thin pancake batter) workable consistency. Leftover paste can be covered and refrigerated for several days. You can also add either a capful of bleach, antimicrobial dish detergent or salt if you have concerns over the paste spoiling.

There are a number of different paste recipes and different people have their own preferences. I make no claims as to this being better than any other recipe out there, it just works for me. Try experimenting. Google “papier mache paste recipes” to see what other people other using and I’m sure you will find something that suits your needs.

If you want to make my papier mache clay, simply mix some cellulose paper insulation (available at Lowe’s or Home Depot) along with a cup of drywall joint compound into the paste until it is a firm and workable consistency.

Photobucket

No mystery, these are my ingredients.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing.

STOLLOWEEN said...

Not a problem!

Macabre Rob said...

I tried this and works great, but how thick can you put on the clay and have it cure. I think I over did it and I noticed the clay seemed to be rising like dough... DOH!

Andrea C said...

fantastic, love your stuff, what is cellulose paper insulation and drywall joint compound. We don't get that in our shops here and wondered if you knew an alternative? Anyway if not your stuff is amazing. What a talent!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin